Monday, March 2, 2015

A Great Read!



I was so excited yesterday to receive my very own copy of the newly released book Hungry for Math: Poems to Munch On! It is full of fun, clever math themed poems for kids. The illustrations bring these poems to life - and are full of extra things to look for. This could be the beginning for some great math explorations. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


From amazon.ca
Kari-Lynn Winters and Lori Sherritt-Fleming team up again for another poetry collection for young readers with the emphasis on math concepts including measuring time, patterns, counting, symmetry, numbers, shapes, estimating and more! 

He was hungry for math, always ready to munch. 
Math for his breakfast. Math for his lunch.

The following are reviews from Lori Sherritt-Fleming's Blog 

The Reviews are Coming In! Here’s the Word on Hungry for Math!

Here are a few very professional reviews of “Hungry for Math:  Poems to Munch On” from a few astute critics.  Enjoy!
By:  Ivan S  Grade 2C
Hi.  My name is Ivan.  I am the first seven year old in the whole world to review Lori Sherritt-Fleming’s poem, “Soap Box First”.  “Soap Box First” is a catchy and fun poem.  It describes a soap box derby and tells you who is in first to fifth place.  All the cars had problems that cost them the derby except for the turquoise one.  Some of the cars lost their wheels and some flipped and squealed.  If you liked this short poem, you will really like the whole book, “Hungry for Math: Poems to Munch On”.  Available in stores now!  Enjoy!
What I Think About Spendosaur
By:  Fred F, Grade 2, Queen Mary Elementary
I think the Spendosaur ate too much candy.  I see at least fifty different kinds of candy in the illustration.  Spendosaur has bought at least two gummy worms.  He spent all of his money.  He bought five gumdrops dipped in swampy slime.  He also bought five pickles.  They were dipped in chocolate.  He uses a nickel and a dime.  I wonder how much money he has in his dino bank.  I like this poem because I think it is funny.
By:  Jeffrey G, Grade 5
Are you looking for something new and different in your meals?  Then read “Hungry for Math:  Poems to Munch On” by Kari-Lynn Winters and Lori Sherritt-Fleming, with illustrations by Peggy Collins.  My favourite poem was “Soap Box First”.  It  was full of descriptive words such as, ‘smash,bang, thump and rumble, squeal’.
“Teacup Pups” was also a great poem because I love dogs.  The illustration of the Yorkie was funny because it is small compared to the other dogs and the Yorkie is standing up.
In the Spendosaur poem, it said that he bought a Gloppyplop.  I wonder what a Gloppyplop tastes like.  I also liked,”Move Around the Clock” because it has times with actions.  Some of the actions are funny such as ‘skitter, prance and squirm’.  I am looking forward to the second book.  Maybe they will call it “Hungrier for Math.”

No comments:

Post a Comment